Over 150 Years of Theta Chi
Theta Chi was founded at Norwich University in Vermont on April 10, 1856 by military cadets Frederick Norton Freeman and Arthur Chase. The next evening, two more cadets joined the fraternity: Edward Bancroft Williston and Lorenzo Potter. These gentlemen started the movement that has led to over 175,000 initiated men today.
For more about Theta Chi’s international history, visit our International Headquarter’s website.
Our chapter traces its roots all the way back to 1922, when The Triangle Club was founded on February 16th. The club thrived on campus, standing for Fellowship, Loyalty, and Service. Back in those days, Ball State did not allow fraternal organizations on campus, however this policy was eventually changed. Shortly after the policy change, the Triangle Club elected to further push it’s limits and attempt to join a national fraternity.
The Delta Kappa Chapter holds the distinction of being Ball State’s oldest continually running fraternal organization. The Delta Kappa chapter was chartered on January 20, 1951 at Ball State’s beautiful Arts Terrace.
In the first years of our chapter’s existence, we called Ball State’s Elliot Hall home. For nearly the next 50 years, Delta Kappa lived in 5 different houses before moving into our new home at 1100 W Riverside Ave.
It wasn’t all fun and games for our chapter. After graduation in the fall of 1981, our chapter was left with only a single active member. The chapter perceived though, getting alumni involvement to help recruit a pledge class of 4 members, and the following pledge class received 24 initiates. Delta Kappa was back on the map and thriving on campus.
Recent achievements for our chapter include winning the Alter Award, Theta Chi’s national award for being one of the most outstanding chapters in the country. Delta Kappa received the award in back to back years: 2007 – 2008 and 2008 – 2009.